Home seeker, urgency statement (Urgentie woningzoekende)
The current housing market is tight. This means it is and will remain to be challenging to find a rental house in Amstelveen. The situation could present itself where your daily functioning is obstructed by certain social or medical problems. Should this occur, you could apply for an urgency statement.
A limited number of houses is made available yearly for home seekers with an urgency statement. With an ur-gency statement you are granted priority over other home seekers when applying for houses in the municipality. Under certain conditions it is also possible to use an urgency statement to apply for houses in a different municipality within the City Region of Amsterdam. Granting an urgency statement to one person means someone else will have to wait for housing longer. This is why the municipality only grants urgency statements to home seekers in exceptionally pressing circumstances who need housing in the short-term.
To apply for an urgency statement you must at least meet the following conditions:
- you are over 18 years old;
- you are registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP);
- you have an aggregate income below € 38.035,- (2019 price level);
- you have the Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit;
- you have social ties with the municipality*;
- You have an independent living space;
- you don’t have debts or you already have an arrangement to pay them off;
- you are registered as a home seeker at WoningNet;
- you have not refused a suitable home in the year prior to the urgency application;
- you are not eligible for suitable accommodation within six months based on you WoningNet registration.
- you are getting divorced or you are divorced and you are not in charge of taking care of underaged children;
- you suffer from nuisance from neighbours or you cause nuisance yourself;
- you have an aggregate income above € 38.035,- (2019 price level). In this scenario you aren’t eligible for social housing and are therefore not eligible for an urgency statement either.
*Social ties: you have been living in the municipality for two years prior to the urgency application.
An urgency statement is only granted in exceptionally pressing circumstances. These are examples of circum-stances where an urgency statement is not awarded:
Visit the Social counter located at the Amstelveen City Hall to apply for an urgency statement. We will review your situation with you to assess if you might be eligible for an urgency statement. If you might be eligible, bases on this first assessment, you’ll receive an application form. The form states which additional documents the municipality requires to assess your application. To submit an application, you will be required to pay an administration fee of € 42,85 (2019).
To submit an application, you will be required to pay an administration fee of € 42,85 (2019).
We will assess your application as soon as we receive your application form and the required supporting docu-ments. The team ‘Urgente Woonzaken’ assesses your application. After having received your application you will be invited for an interview. The goal of the interview is to better assess your application. If the reason for your application is medical problems, the municipality can consult a doctor or the Wmo team for additional advice.
You will receive a written decision within 8 weeks about the award or rejection of an urgency statement. If you are granted an urgency statement, this is only valid for houses in Amstelveen, unless you have explicitly indicated that you want to use the urgency statement in another municipalities within the City Region. The urgency statement is valid for six months. During this period you must respond to available houses on www.woningnet.nl. The municipality ensures that you are registered with WoningNet as an urgent home seeker. If you respond to a home, you will automatically be recognized as an urgent home seeker.
Objection and appeal
You can object to the decision on your application within 6 weeks after receiving the decision. Do you disagree with the statement on the notice of objection? Then you can lodge an appeal with the court.
Do you have any questions?
Please contact the Social counter.
U bent welkom op het raadhuis met een afspraak. Bij het Sociaal loket kunt u terecht voor vragen over wonen, welzijn, zorg, inkomensondersteuning, schuldhulpverlening en jeugdhulp. Meer informatie: Sociaal loket
Balie Sociaal loket
U bent welkom op het raadhuis met een afspraak.
Bij het Sociaal loket kunt u terecht voor vragen over wonen, welzijn, zorg, inkomensondersteuning, schuldhulpverlening en jeugdhulp.
Meer informatie: Sociaal loket